Delicous Taco Soup



I received a recipe from a friend of mine at church. I am going give the original recipe and then give my tweaked recipe. You can decide for yourself which you'd like to try. Any part of the recipe I changed is in bold in my recipe.

Here's the original recipe:


1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck                             16 oz. can kidney beans, undrained
1 medium onion, chopped                         15 oz can tomato sauce
1.25-oz pkg. taco seasoning                      14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 oz. pkg. Ranch dressing mix                   Toppings: corn chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream
1 C. water
16 oz. pkg frozen corn

Cook ground chuck and onion in a stockpot, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and next 6 ingredients to beef mixture. Bring to a boil. cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 mins. Serve with desired toppings. Makes 11 cups.   
(Susan Nafziger, Canton, KS)

My Recipe:

1 lb. Ground Chuck              3/4 C. dried Kidney beans (cook and drain, they double in size)
1 Med. onion, chopped         15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 pkg. taco seasoning           14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (without green chilies)
2 C. water                            1 tsp. Cumin and 1 tsp. of Chili Powder; 
can corn                           Salt and pepper to taste    
                                          Toppings: Homemade Tortilla strips, sour cream, and cheese

Cook ground chuck until done. While waiting for chuck to get done... Cut up onion and place in Crock Pot. Also add to crock pot: Taco seasoning, Ranch, water, corn, kidney beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and spices. When meat is thoroughly cooked, add the meat. Stir mixture. Cook low 4-6 hours or high 3 hours. Serves: 4
*I literally home make the tortilla strips from scratch using a tortilla shell recipe, but I will have to give you that recipe another day. You can use regular tortilla shells and cut them into strips and bake them at 350 for about 7 minutes. 

**I love using the crock pot for anything that I possibly can. It makes my life so much easier. I recommend this meal for a day that you have a lot going on and you want to be able to just eat when it's time for dinner. I left my crock pot on low for 5 1/2 hours and it turned out great. If you try this recipe leave some feed back and let me know how it turns out!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment